Two state–of-the art ambulances were sent to the area via rail from Kochi, a total of distance of almost 2,500 km. One of these was AIMS Hospital’s Mobile Telemedicine Unit. It is the size of a city bus and includes X-ray facilities, ECG scanner, pathology-lab-work facility, specialty cardiac services and a telemedicine satellite link with AIMS Hospital. It was first used in MAM’s tsunami-relief work in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Camps: Construction and Life
MAM set up two relief camps. One in Purnia District, and one in Supaul District. The first was completed on 16th September; the second on 11th October. In total, 1,500 flood victims were housed in the shelters. Kitchens and toilets were also provided. At one point, when construction supplies were delayed, brahmacharis and MAM volunteers went to a nearby bamboo forest and fell, loaded and transported construction materials themselves. Having witnessed their dedicated actions, a journalist wrote, “They do not depend on the facilities available to them. They get their work done by sheer will power.”
On August 18, 2008, the Kosi River broke through a man-made embankment in Nepal. The flooding was massive and engulfed half the neighbouring state of Bi¬har in India. The prime minister declared it a national calamity. According to the World Health Organization, 3.3 million people in 1,850 villages were affected, with one million rendered homeless. Crops were devastated and there was no drinking water. In the worst-affected regions, only treetops were visible above the waterline.
12 Dec 2008, Amritapuri
Today a new Heidelberg, a quality 4 colour printing machine, was inaugurated in the newly constructed building of Amrita Offset Printers by Swami Amrita Geetananda. It is situated by the Amrita Kripa hospital.
Hereafter, the colour printing of all Amma books in different languages will be done from here.
13 Nov 2008, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa
Orissa is one of these states in India which undergoes flooding in one part of the state or the other during the monsoons. The annual monsoon season though eagerly awaited, by the farmers of Orissa are also the bane of development or the cause of their sorrow as the river Mahanadi regularly overflows in the Cuttack/Bhubaneswar belt, causing huge loses to the farmers and also destroying property and places in its wake. This year too after more than a decade, there was heavy rainfall in the catchment area as a result of which the river Mahanadi (which means the great river), got heavily flooded and inundated the Banki area of Cuttack in Orissa. It even entered Cuttack city and people of the city had to move to upper floors till the water receded. The floods were so devastating that the Prime Minister of India after visiting the area declared it as a National calamity. The ashram representative Br. Sadasiva visited there and offered relief materials.
During our relief work the MAM distributed several 1000 blankets, medicines, tarpaulins, relief kits, educational kits and other rations to the badly affected flood victims of that region. The flood victims were very grateful to the representatives of the MAM for having come form so far to distribute these relief materials.
In November 2008 Santa Catarina, one of the main States in Brazil, was flooded as never before due to very hard storms. The floods caused around 150 deaths and about 33,000 people had to leave their homes.
A family of Amma’s devotees was in the tragedy location and they made a dramatic call to Sao Paulo devotees for help.
Inspired by Amma’s compassion, the devotees called the huge community of Amma’s admirers to in São Paulo to make some donations and after a few days they got an expressive lot of food, water bottles (the flood victims did not have drinkable water) and other essential goods. The devotees, then, brought all the donations to the firemen headquarters, from where the goods were sent to Santa Catarina.
- Amritapuri, 1990 - The Kali Temple's front side, visible through coconut trees branches, is under construction...... http://fb.me/8tINA2Wp8 24 January 2017
- Amma arrives at Tiruvananthapuram, #BharataYatra 2017pic.twitter.com/HpKku4nFuq 24 January 2017
- Amma left Amritapuri, #BharataYatra 2017 started. Tomorrow Brahmasthanam Festival program at Tiruvananthapurampic.twitter.com/vzplWmIVWN 24 January 2017
- MotherPage: Amrita hospital launches first cosmetic heart surgery for kids in India http://amrit.am/2jrXa5i 24 January 2017
- A misty morning view here at Amritapuri: The backwaters, the Amrita Setu bridge, the Vallickavu village and the... http://fb.me/1K8B0RcDU 24 January 2017
- Getting the big screens ready for Amma's coming tour programs... The group starts from Amritapuri tomorrow: The... http://fb.me/6ex4LQpJE 23 January 2017
- Without Faith, we are full of fear. Fear cripples the body & mind, paralyzing us, whereas Faith opens our hearts and leads us to love #Ammapic.twitter.com/PvwSXwX0Pq
- Just as a person needs air to breathe, the heart needs to be nurtured with love and care. #Ammapic.twitter.com/QmqZRnbvEr
- The mind might pull and push you into the same old habits. Understand it is only a trick of the mind to divert you from your path. #Amma
- We want others to change first. It is hard to find people who sincerely feel that they themselves have to undergo a change. #Ammapic.twitter.com/AOZ4ItgwIq
- Finding peace within, leads to outside peace. The inner and the outer efforts should go hand in hand.pic.twitter.com/kA14Q0JDws
- If you want to be closer to God, try to be like a child. #Ammapic.twitter.com/wCY62PFrmy