Two state–of-the art ambulances were sent to the area via rail from Kochi, a total of distance of almost 2,500 km. One of these was AIMS Hospital’s Mobile Telemedicine Unit. It is the size of a city bus and includes X-ray facilities, ECG scanner, pathology-lab-work facility, specialty cardiac services and a telemedicine satellite link with AIMS Hospital. It was first used in MAM’s tsunami-relief work in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Camps: Construction and Life
MAM set up two relief camps. One in Purnia District, and one in Supaul District. The first was completed on 16th September; the second on 11th October. In total, 1,500 flood victims were housed in the shelters. Kitchens and toilets were also provided. At one point, when construction supplies were delayed, brahmacharis and MAM volunteers went to a nearby bamboo forest and fell, loaded and transported construction materials themselves. Having witnessed their dedicated actions, a journalist wrote, “They do not depend on the facilities available to them. They get their work done by sheer will power.”
On August 18, 2008, the Kosi River broke through a man-made embankment in Nepal. The flooding was massive and engulfed half the neighbouring state of Bi¬har in India. The prime minister declared it a national calamity. According to the World Health Organization, 3.3 million people in 1,850 villages were affected, with one million rendered homeless. Crops were devastated and there was no drinking water. In the worst-affected regions, only treetops were visible above the waterline.
12 Dec 2008, Amritapuri
Today a new Heidelberg, a quality 4 colour printing machine, was inaugurated in the newly constructed building of Amrita Offset Printers by Swami Amrita Geetananda. It is situated by the Amrita Kripa hospital.
Hereafter, the colour printing of all Amma books in different languages will be done from here.
13 Nov 2008, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa
Orissa is one of these states in India which undergoes flooding in one part of the state or the other during the monsoons. The annual monsoon season though eagerly awaited, by the farmers of Orissa are also the bane of development or the cause of their sorrow as the river Mahanadi regularly overflows in the Cuttack/Bhubaneswar belt, causing huge loses to the farmers and also destroying property and places in its wake. This year too after more than a decade, there was heavy rainfall in the catchment area as a result of which the river Mahanadi (which means the great river), got heavily flooded and inundated the Banki area of Cuttack in Orissa. It even entered Cuttack city and people of the city had to move to upper floors till the water receded. The floods were so devastating that the Prime Minister of India after visiting the area declared it as a National calamity. The ashram representative Br. Sadasiva visited there and offered relief materials.
During our relief work the MAM distributed several 1000 blankets, medicines, tarpaulins, relief kits, educational kits and other rations to the badly affected flood victims of that region. The flood victims were very grateful to the representatives of the MAM for having come form so far to distribute these relief materials.
In November 2008 Santa Catarina, one of the main States in Brazil, was flooded as never before due to very hard storms. The floods caused around 150 deaths and about 33,000 people had to leave their homes.
A family of Amma’s devotees was in the tragedy location and they made a dramatic call to Sao Paulo devotees for help.
Inspired by Amma’s compassion, the devotees called the huge community of Amma’s admirers to in São Paulo to make some donations and after a few days they got an expressive lot of food, water bottles (the flood victims did not have drinkable water) and other essential goods. The devotees, then, brought all the donations to the firemen headquarters, from where the goods were sent to Santa Catarina.
- भारतीयः Photo – “Some people have the habit of drinking coffee as soon as they get up. If one day they don’t get it on time, they will feel agitated. It may even spoil their whole day, give them a stomach ache, make them constipated or give them a headac… http://amrit.am/2DsgZrx 20 January 2018
- भारतीयः Photo – Quiet mornings at the entrance of Amritapuri’s Kali Temple, as Amma is on a tour in South India…#Amritapuri #KaliTemple #KeralaAshrams http://amrit.am/2mVQoYO 20 January 2018
- भारतीयः Photo – “परमात्मा हमारे हृदयों की गहराई में, निर्मलता और शुद्ध प्रेम बन कर रहता है।” – अम्मा (श्री माता अमृतानन्दमयी देवी) http://amrit.am/2mTLFqf 20 January 2018
- भारतीयः Photo – Looking at Amritapuri from the Amrita University roof: Sunset time…#Amritapuri #Amrita #AmritaUniversity #KeralaSunset http://amrit.am/2mReCTZ 20 January 2018
- भारतीयः Photo – Next to Amritapuri’s Kalari: The old house of Amma’s family, converted today into a meditation place, beautifully decorated with a collection of old photos of Amma…#Amritapuri #Amma #MeditationRoom http://amrit.am/2Dqhged 20 January 2018
- भारतीयः Photo – The spiral garden, next to Amritapuri’s southern entrance…#Amritapuri #PeaceGarden http://amrit.am/2DsgVYP 20 January 2018
- The Guru has no specific like or dislike. The only desire the Master has is for the disciple to grow spiritually. But, when the disciple aspires to please the Master, their own likes and dislikes begin to fade. #Ammapic.twitter.com/rmFyWSgBnM
- Most disciples oscillate between happiness and sorrow, love and hatred. They never stand in the middle. How do one stand still? We need to rid ourselves of our likes and dislikes. #Ammapic.twitter.com/l5PDP4wifv
- Our mind is like a clock’s pendulum. It always gravitates towards extremes. There is either love or hatred. If we love, we forget all else and “fall” in love. When we hate, we don’t even hesitate to kill. We are incapable of remaining in the center, at the equilibrium point.pic.twitter.com/KUU7jNKS2r
- जो यह सोचते हो कि वे यह ‘सीमित शरीर’ हैं वे अपने क्षुद्र अहंकार से कभी मुक्त नहीं हो सकते। इससे मुक्त होने के लिये यह दृढ़ विश्वास आवश्यक है कि मेरी आत्मा तथा परमात्मा एक हो। यही विश्वास सच्चे जीवन उत्सव की आधारशिला है।
- मनुष्य एक बीज की तरह है। बीज में वृक्ष बनने की क्षमता है। हर मनुष्य आत्म-रूप है। जब तक बीज वृक्ष नहीं बन जाता वह अपने बाह्य आवरण के अंधेरे में कैद रहेगा। इसी तरह जब तक हम अपने अहंकार का आवरण नहीं तोड़ते हम दुखी ही रहेंगे, स्वयं-प्रकाश आत्मा के अनन्त आनंद का अनुभव नहीं ले पायेंगे।pic.twitter.com/6wwK5GwzpY
- If anywhere there exist rules that prevent women from enjoying their rightful freedom — rules that obstruct their progress in society — then those are not God’s commandments but are born out of the selfishness of men. # Ammapic.twitter.com/vdGuCMj6k8