3 January 2004 — Amritapuri
After bhajans ended this evening and Amma returned to Her room, many made their way to the kalari for the monthly Karthika Puja.
In addition to the annual birthday observed in the West, which is based on the sun’s position, a monthly birthday is also traditionally observed in India that is based on the moon’s. Karthika is the nakshatra (constellation) in which the moon was transiting at the time of Amma’s birth, and so each time the moon returns to this spot in the heavens, approximately every 28 days, is considered a birthday.
While a beautiful song was offered, followed by the chanting of Amma’s 108 Names, the 108 Names of Devi, and the Mahishasuramardini slokas, the ashram pujaris performed the Kali Puja. Sitting in the center of a large yantra, drawn on the temple’s floor out of colored rice powder, and decorated with sacred flowers and other traditional symbolic items, stood a tall, garlanded oil lamp. Smaller replicas surrounded it, each with four wicks burning. The room danced by the light of the many flames and swam in the fragrance of the incense, all adding to the purified and peaceful atmosphere.
As the puja ended with the closing peace mantras, everyone queued for darshan of the sanctum sanctorum, and to receive sweet prasad. A blessed way to begin the year!
6 October, 2001
According to the Hindu calendar, Amma was born in the month of Kanni under the Kartika star. This year, this day fell on the 6th October.
That evening, while Amma gave darshan in the auditorium, the Kartika puja was held in the Kalari as it is every month under the Kartika star.
Devotees crowd around the opening to the Kalari. If you look closely in the picture below, you can see the entrance to the tiny room where Amma’s Bhava darshan used to be held in olden days.
- Devi Bhava at Barcelona is over #EuropeYatra2019 19 November 2019
- Amma’s satsang started #EuropeYatra2019 18 November 2019
- Amma in stage blessing water for the puja at Barcelona #EuropeYatra2019. 18 November 2019
- Darshan is over at Barcelona #EuropeYatra2019 18 November 2019
- Amma is now singing Bhajans #EuropeYatra2019 17 November 2019
- Amma’s satsang started #EuropeYatra2019 17 November 2019
- Happy #Diwalipic.twitter.com/YaZOjR1HJg
- If all of us can light the lamp of faith and love in our hearts and walk forward together, then we definitely can bring about a change in society. - Amma #Diwali #Deepotsav2019 #Deepavalipic.twitter.com/0JJ0ajw32D
- This universe keeps flowing, following its own rhythm, harmony and tune. Thus, human beings need to chart the path of their lives according to the tune and rhythm of Nature. Otherwise, life will automatically become a battle. - #Ammapic.twitter.com/MZeKVr0Hcb
- But if the parents fail to cultivate spiritual values in the child as well, it may end up spending its entire life in tears. It is spiritual values that give children the strength to face and overcome all sorrows and hardships in life. - #Amma 2/2 #awareness
- Parents need to cultivate awareness of dharma in their children from a very young age. Many parents today just put a smartphone in their child’s hand as soon as it starts crying. This may momentarily help stop the child’s tantrum. 1/2pic.twitter.com/DmZdRDSldC