3 January 2004 — Amritapuri
After bhajans ended this evening and Amma returned to Her room, many made their way to the kalari for the monthly Karthika Puja.
In addition to the annual birthday observed in the West, which is based on the sun’s position, a monthly birthday is also traditionally observed in India that is based on the moon’s. Karthika is the nakshatra (constellation) in which the moon was transiting at the time of Amma’s birth, and so each time the moon returns to this spot in the heavens, approximately every 28 days, is considered a birthday.
While a beautiful song was offered, followed by the chanting of Amma’s 108 Names, the 108 Names of Devi, and the Mahishasuramardini slokas, the ashram pujaris performed the Kali Puja. Sitting in the center of a large yantra, drawn on the temple’s floor out of colored rice powder, and decorated with sacred flowers and other traditional symbolic items, stood a tall, garlanded oil lamp. Smaller replicas surrounded it, each with four wicks burning. The room danced by the light of the many flames and swam in the fragrance of the incense, all adding to the purified and peaceful atmosphere.
As the puja ended with the closing peace mantras, everyone queued for darshan of the sanctum sanctorum, and to receive sweet prasad. A blessed way to begin the year!
6 October, 2001
According to the Hindu calendar, Amma was born in the month of Kanni under the Kartika star. This year, this day fell on the 6th October.
That evening, while Amma gave darshan in the auditorium, the Kartika puja was held in the Kalari as it is every month under the Kartika star.
Devotees crowd around the opening to the Kalari. If you look closely in the picture below, you can see the entrance to the tiny room where Amma’s Bhava darshan used to be held in olden days.
- Devi Bhava at Toronto is over #NorthAmericaYatra 2019 19 July 2019
- Devi Bhava started...Amma is wearing a beautiful green and golden sari #NorthAmericaYatra 2019 19 July 2019
- Amma’s satsang started #NorthAmericaYatra 2019 18 July 2019
- Amma on stage blessing water for the puja at Toronto #NorthAmericaYatra 2019 18 July 2019
- Morning meditation with Amma started at Toronto #NorthAmericaYatra 2019 18 July 2019
- Darshan is over at Toronto #NorthAmericaYatra 2019 18 July 2019
- Knowledge is light; ignorance is darkness. The day that we remember with humility and gratitude all the gurus that held our hand and led us from the world of darkness into the world of light is Guru Purnima. -#Amma #GuruPurnimapic.twitter.com/gbphgIKnr2
- गुरु हमारा सबसे उत्तम एवं विश्वसनीय मित्र है जो हमें इस सत्य के प्रति जागृत करता है कि, 'मैं यह छोटा सा जीव (देह-मन-बुद्धि वाला)नहीं हूँ; मैं अनन्त हूँ, गगन समान व्यापक हूँ। मैं पूर्णत्व ही हूँ।' 2/2 #GuruPurnima #GuruPurnima2019pic.twitter.com/ZqCFs4vmZi
- गुरु-पूर्णिमा अपने भीतर ही पूर्णत्व को पाने का अनुस्मारक है। अपने मन की छोटी-छोटी खिड़कियों से देखने पर, हम अपने और जगत के विषय में ग़लत निष्कर्ष पर पहुँचते हैं। 1/2 #GuruPurnima
- The guru is the noblest and trusted friend who awakens us to the reality that, “I am not this small entity (body, mind and the intellect); I am the infinite, as pervasive as the sky. I am fullness itself.” - #Amma 2/2 #GuruPurnimapic.twitter.com/WDUbiBuUnw
- Guru Purnima is a reminder to find our Purnatvam—our fullness—within. Looking through the small windows of our mind, we come to wrong conclusions about ourselves and the world. 1/2 #GuruPurnima