3 January 2004 — Amritapuri
After bhajans ended this evening and Amma returned to Her room, many made their way to the kalari for the monthly Karthika Puja.
In addition to the annual birthday observed in the West, which is based on the sun’s position, a monthly birthday is also traditionally observed in India that is based on the moon’s. Karthika is the nakshatra (constellation) in which the moon was transiting at the time of Amma’s birth, and so each time the moon returns to this spot in the heavens, approximately every 28 days, is considered a birthday.
While a beautiful song was offered, followed by the chanting of Amma’s 108 Names, the 108 Names of Devi, and the Mahishasuramardini slokas, the ashram pujaris performed the Kali Puja. Sitting in the center of a large yantra, drawn on the temple’s floor out of colored rice powder, and decorated with sacred flowers and other traditional symbolic items, stood a tall, garlanded oil lamp. Smaller replicas surrounded it, each with four wicks burning. The room danced by the light of the many flames and swam in the fragrance of the incense, all adding to the purified and peaceful atmosphere.
As the puja ended with the closing peace mantras, everyone queued for darshan of the sanctum sanctorum, and to receive sweet prasad. A blessed way to begin the year!
6 October, 2001
According to the Hindu calendar, Amma was born in the month of Kanni under the Kartika star. This year, this day fell on the 6th October.
That evening, while Amma gave darshan in the auditorium, the Kartika puja was held in the Kalari as it is every month under the Kartika star.
Devotees crowd around the opening to the Kalari. If you look closely in the picture below, you can see the entrance to the tiny room where Amma’s Bhava darshan used to be held in olden days.
- Darshan is over @Amritapuri 19 May 2019
- Swamiji started evening bhajans while Amma continues darshan @Amritapuri 19 May 2019
- Amma started darshan @Amritapuri Ashram 19 May 2019
- Darshan is over @Amritapuri 18 May 2019
- Swamiji started evening bhajans while Amma continues darshan @Amritapuri 18 May 2019
- Amma started darshan @Amritapuri Ashram 18 May 2019
- Let us colour our lips with words of truth. Let us trace our eyes with lines of compassion. Let us adorn our hands with the henna of good deeds. Let us bless our minds with the sweetness of humility. Let us fill our hearts with the light of love for God and all of God’s creation.pic.twitter.com/Ofv3lkt3TL
- God has no separate hands, legs, eyes or body other than our own. The Cosmic power inside each one of us is God. - #Ammapic.twitter.com/mrDUqHr05D
- ध्यान द्वारा हमारे हृदयों को कारुणिक होना चाहिए। ऐसे ही ह्रदय में परमात्मा प्रतिबिम्बित हो सकता है! हम में दूसरों के दुःख को अनुभव करने और उनके दुःख को बांटने की योग्यता आनी चाहिए। -अम्माpic.twitter.com/tb29QRlvU8
- If we go looking for darkness, we will see only darkness—not light. So, when we see darkness, is there any point in crying, “Oh, no! I cannot see any light!” This tendency of the mind to search for the bad instead of the good is what scriptures call drishti-dosham—faulty vision.pic.twitter.com/MgSMnXzkJJ
- ऐसा मत सोचो कि सिर्फ़ आँखें मूँद कर बैठने ही का नाम ध्यान है। मुस्कुराता हुआ चेहरा,भले शब्द,करुणापूर्ण दृष्टि,ये सब ध्यान के ही अंग हैं। -अम्माpic.twitter.com/1hnJQDsmJn