Two state–of-the art ambulances were sent to the area via rail from Kochi, a total of distance of almost 2,500 km. One of these was AIMS Hospital’s Mobile Telemedicine Unit. It is the size of a city bus and includes X-ray facilities, ECG scanner, pathology-lab-work facility, specialty cardiac services and a telemedicine satellite link with AIMS Hospital. It was first used in MAM’s tsunami-relief work in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Camps: Construction and Life
MAM set up two relief camps. One in Purnia District, and one in Supaul District. The first was completed on 16th September; the second on 11th October. In total, 1,500 flood victims were housed in the shelters. Kitchens and toilets were also provided. At one point, when construction supplies were delayed, brahmacharis and MAM volunteers went to a nearby bamboo forest and fell, loaded and transported construction materials themselves. Having witnessed their dedicated actions, a journalist wrote, “They do not depend on the facilities available to them. They get their work done by sheer will power.”
On August 18, 2008, the Kosi River broke through a man-made embankment in Nepal. The flooding was massive and engulfed half the neighbouring state of Bi¬har in India. The prime minister declared it a national calamity. According to the World Health Organization, 3.3 million people in 1,850 villages were affected, with one million rendered homeless. Crops were devastated and there was no drinking water. In the worst-affected regions, only treetops were visible above the waterline.
12 Dec 2008, Amritapuri
Today a new Heidelberg, a quality 4 colour printing machine, was inaugurated in the newly constructed building of Amrita Offset Printers by Swami Amrita Geetananda. It is situated by the Amrita Kripa hospital.
Hereafter, the colour printing of all Amma books in different languages will be done from here.
13 Nov 2008, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa
Orissa is one of these states in India which undergoes flooding in one part of the state or the other during the monsoons. The annual monsoon season though eagerly awaited, by the farmers of Orissa are also the bane of development or the cause of their sorrow as the river Mahanadi regularly overflows in the Cuttack/Bhubaneswar belt, causing huge loses to the farmers and also destroying property and places in its wake. This year too after more than a decade, there was heavy rainfall in the catchment area as a result of which the river Mahanadi (which means the great river), got heavily flooded and inundated the Banki area of Cuttack in Orissa. It even entered Cuttack city and people of the city had to move to upper floors till the water receded. The floods were so devastating that the Prime Minister of India after visiting the area declared it as a National calamity. The ashram representative Br. Sadasiva visited there and offered relief materials.
During our relief work the MAM distributed several 1000 blankets, medicines, tarpaulins, relief kits, educational kits and other rations to the badly affected flood victims of that region. The flood victims were very grateful to the representatives of the MAM for having come form so far to distribute these relief materials.
In November 2008 Santa Catarina, one of the main States in Brazil, was flooded as never before due to very hard storms. The floods caused around 150 deaths and about 33,000 people had to leave their homes.
A family of Amma’s devotees was in the tragedy location and they made a dramatic call to Sao Paulo devotees for help.
Inspired by Amma’s compassion, the devotees called the huge community of Amma’s admirers to in São Paulo to make some donations and after a few days they got an expressive lot of food, water bottles (the flood victims did not have drinkable water) and other essential goods. The devotees, then, brought all the donations to the firemen headquarters, from where the goods were sent to Santa Catarina.
- Swami Amritatmananda started archana, Amma continues Darshan @ Amritapuri 25 September 2016
- After crossing the Amrita Sindhu bridge Amma's embrace is welcoming all those reaching Amritapuri today for... http://fb.me/81d2AO47x 25 September 2016
- Amma came to the stage, Darshan started @Amritapuri. Devotees are flowing in for #Amritavarsham 63, Amma’s B’day celebrations 25 September 2016
- At the Amritavarsham63 venue, the decorations are nearing readiness, as Amma is expected to lead the bhajans here... http://fb.me/1xMjAQMP2 25 September 2016
- Darshan over @ Amritapuri 24 September 2016
- Festive night lights decorating Amritapuri's alleys: Amritavarsham63 is just around the corner now... #Amma... http://fb.me/3yiIQ08WP 24 September 2016
- A true Master does nothing. In His presence, everything just happens without any effort on His part. #Amma
- മറ്റുള്ളവര്ക്ക് നമ്മുടെ സ്നേഹവും സഹായവും ഒക്കെ ഏറ്റവും ആവശ്യമുള്ള ചില നിമിഷങ്ങള് ജീവിതത്തിലുണ്ടാകാം. ..1/2
- … ആ നിമിഷങ്ങളില് അവര്ക്ക് അതു നല്കാന് കഴിഞ്ഞാല് അത്രകണ്ട് നമ്മുടെ ജീവിതം ധന്യമായി. ..2/2
- If carried on the head, spiritual knowledge is a burden; but the same knowledge is beautiful if brought into the heart. #Amma
- ഉയര്ച്ചയും താഴ്ചയും ജീവിതത്തിന്റെ സ്വഭാവമാണ്. ഹാര്ട്ടിന്റെ ഇ.സി.ജി യെടുക്കുമ്പോള് അതില് ഉയര്ച്ചകളും താഴ്ചകളും കാണും. 1/2
- … അതുകാണുന്നില്ലെങ്കില് അതിന്റെ അര്ത്ഥം പ്രാണന് പോയി എന്നാണ്. ജീവിതത്തില് വീഴ്ചകള് വരുമ്പോള് നമ്മള് തളരാതിരിക്കണം. 2/2