Two state–of-the art ambulances were sent to the area via rail from Kochi, a total of distance of almost 2,500 km. One of these was AIMS Hospital’s Mobile Telemedicine Unit. It is the size of a city bus and includes X-ray facilities, ECG scanner, pathology-lab-work facility, specialty cardiac services and a telemedicine satellite link with AIMS Hospital. It was first used in MAM’s tsunami-relief work in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Camps: Construction and Life
MAM set up two relief camps. One in Purnia District, and one in Supaul District. The first was completed on 16th September; the second on 11th October. In total, 1,500 flood victims were housed in the shelters. Kitchens and toilets were also provided. At one point, when construction supplies were delayed, brahmacharis and MAM volunteers went to a nearby bamboo forest and fell, loaded and transported construction materials themselves. Having witnessed their dedicated actions, a journalist wrote, “They do not depend on the facilities available to them. They get their work done by sheer will power.”
On August 18, 2008, the Kosi River broke through a man-made embankment in Nepal. The flooding was massive and engulfed half the neighbouring state of Bi¬har in India. The prime minister declared it a national calamity. According to the World Health Organization, 3.3 million people in 1,850 villages were affected, with one million rendered homeless. Crops were devastated and there was no drinking water. In the worst-affected regions, only treetops were visible above the waterline.
12 Dec 2008, Amritapuri
Today a new Heidelberg, a quality 4 colour printing machine, was inaugurated in the newly constructed building of Amrita Offset Printers by Swami Amrita Geetananda. It is situated by the Amrita Kripa hospital.
Hereafter, the colour printing of all Amma books in different languages will be done from here.
13 Nov 2008, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa
Orissa is one of these states in India which undergoes flooding in one part of the state or the other during the monsoons. The annual monsoon season though eagerly awaited, by the farmers of Orissa are also the bane of development or the cause of their sorrow as the river Mahanadi regularly overflows in the Cuttack/Bhubaneswar belt, causing huge loses to the farmers and also destroying property and places in its wake. This year too after more than a decade, there was heavy rainfall in the catchment area as a result of which the river Mahanadi (which means the great river), got heavily flooded and inundated the Banki area of Cuttack in Orissa. It even entered Cuttack city and people of the city had to move to upper floors till the water receded. The floods were so devastating that the Prime Minister of India after visiting the area declared it as a National calamity. The ashram representative Br. Sadasiva visited there and offered relief materials.
During our relief work the MAM distributed several 1000 blankets, medicines, tarpaulins, relief kits, educational kits and other rations to the badly affected flood victims of that region. The flood victims were very grateful to the representatives of the MAM for having come form so far to distribute these relief materials.
In November 2008 Santa Catarina, one of the main States in Brazil, was flooded as never before due to very hard storms. The floods caused around 150 deaths and about 33,000 people had to leave their homes.
A family of Amma’s devotees was in the tragedy location and they made a dramatic call to Sao Paulo devotees for help.
Inspired by Amma’s compassion, the devotees called the huge community of Amma’s admirers to in São Paulo to make some donations and after a few days they got an expressive lot of food, water bottles (the flood victims did not have drinkable water) and other essential goods. The devotees, then, brought all the donations to the firemen headquarters, from where the goods were sent to Santa Catarina.
- With "Kripamayi Ambe", bhajans are over @ Amritapuri 5 February 2016
- At the Kalari. #Amritapuri #Puja #Kalari #Pooja http://fb.me/4cTJ8eqB2 5 February 2016
- Amma joined for the evening bhajans with " kaise sandesha" @ Amritapuri 5 February 2016
- Amma @ Amritapuri beach pic.twitter.com/TfqsiHClH3 5 February 2016
- Amma @ the Amritapuri beach lesson Q&A after meditation 5 February 2016
- Good Morning from Amritapuri! #Amritapuri #YawningCats http://fb.me/4bkqg7Ewd 5 February 2016
- Meditation is an experience; it cannot be explained verbally. Meditation happens only when you get rid of your mind and your thoughts. #Amma
- Whatever you do, try to set an example for others and serve as an inspiration. #Amma
- The future depends on the choices we make. #Amma
- Nature records all of our actions. Each of our words and thoughts subtly exists in Nature. #Amma
- Pick just one quality/virtue and follow it with utmost faith and optimism; other qualities will automatically follow. #Amma
- Faith in a higher power helps us to control our mind and thoughts. #Amma