Two state–of-the art ambulances were sent to the area via rail from Kochi, a total of distance of almost 2,500 km. One of these was AIMS Hospital’s Mobile Telemedicine Unit. It is the size of a city bus and includes X-ray facilities, ECG scanner, pathology-lab-work facility, specialty cardiac services and a telemedicine satellite link with AIMS Hospital. It was first used in MAM’s tsunami-relief work in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Camps: Construction and Life
MAM set up two relief camps. One in Purnia District, and one in Supaul District. The first was completed on 16th September; the second on 11th October. In total, 1,500 flood victims were housed in the shelters. Kitchens and toilets were also provided. At one point, when construction supplies were delayed, brahmacharis and MAM volunteers went to a nearby bamboo forest and fell, loaded and transported construction materials themselves. Having witnessed their dedicated actions, a journalist wrote, “They do not depend on the facilities available to them. They get their work done by sheer will power.”
On August 18, 2008, the Kosi River broke through a man-made embankment in Nepal. The flooding was massive and engulfed half the neighbouring state of Bi¬har in India. The prime minister declared it a national calamity. According to the World Health Organization, 3.3 million people in 1,850 villages were affected, with one million rendered homeless. Crops were devastated and there was no drinking water. In the worst-affected regions, only treetops were visible above the waterline.
12 Dec 2008, Amritapuri
Today a new Heidelberg, a quality 4 colour printing machine, was inaugurated in the newly constructed building of Amrita Offset Printers by Swami Amrita Geetananda. It is situated by the Amrita Kripa hospital.
Hereafter, the colour printing of all Amma books in different languages will be done from here.
13 Nov 2008, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa
Orissa is one of these states in India which undergoes flooding in one part of the state or the other during the monsoons. The annual monsoon season though eagerly awaited, by the farmers of Orissa are also the bane of development or the cause of their sorrow as the river Mahanadi regularly overflows in the Cuttack/Bhubaneswar belt, causing huge loses to the farmers and also destroying property and places in its wake. This year too after more than a decade, there was heavy rainfall in the catchment area as a result of which the river Mahanadi (which means the great river), got heavily flooded and inundated the Banki area of Cuttack in Orissa. It even entered Cuttack city and people of the city had to move to upper floors till the water receded. The floods were so devastating that the Prime Minister of India after visiting the area declared it as a National calamity. The ashram representative Br. Sadasiva visited there and offered relief materials.
During our relief work the MAM distributed several 1000 blankets, medicines, tarpaulins, relief kits, educational kits and other rations to the badly affected flood victims of that region. The flood victims were very grateful to the representatives of the MAM for having come form so far to distribute these relief materials.
In November 2008 Santa Catarina, one of the main States in Brazil, was flooded as never before due to very hard storms. The floods caused around 150 deaths and about 33,000 people had to leave their homes.
A family of Amma’s devotees was in the tragedy location and they made a dramatic call to Sao Paulo devotees for help.
Inspired by Amma’s compassion, the devotees called the huge community of Amma’s admirers to in São Paulo to make some donations and after a few days they got an expressive lot of food, water bottles (the flood victims did not have drinkable water) and other essential goods. The devotees, then, brought all the donations to the firemen headquarters, from where the goods were sent to Santa Catarina.
- Darshan started in Amritapuri 25 August 2016
- Krishna's Birthday Celebrations - 31 - Final 1.15 to 2.10am - After bhajans, Amma served the prasad paysam to... http://fb.me/KZFlaEx0 24 August 2016
- Krishna's Birthday Celebrations - 30 1am - After Amma gave her message for the occasion, she sang two more... http://fb.me/1RWGnNRqH 24 August 2016
- After Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu chants, Amma distributing prasad at the end #SriKrishnaJayanthi @ Amritapuripic.twitter.com/6lkfalpbCU 24 August 2016
- Amma sang "bolo bolo gokula bala" and made every one dance. Now leading a peace prayer and Shanti Mantras. #SriKrishnaJayanthi @ Amritapuri 24 August 2016
- Krishna's Birthday Celebrations - 29 12.30am - Amma leading the special Krishna night bhajans, in the presence of... http://fb.me/LiHRpXn9 24 August 2016
- There is nothing here except God - that is the truth. Therefore, how can one label some as low and others as high? #Amma
- There is a power that cannot be expressed in words, which we call God. . . . #Amma
- It is only when noble samskaras or culture blend with rejoicing that an occasion becomes a true festival, a celebration.
- Real celebration is forgetting oneself. It is an attitude. We need to have good control over the mind for that. #Amma
- Our purpose is to try to help others to develop devotion for God and to enjoy inner peace. #Amma
- Spirituality is to compassionately consider others. #Amma